Thursday, September 15, 2011

September's Children

Sometimes I wish I could just post music as a status update, because I think music has a way of saying something that words will never be able to express.

Pretty much since the song debuted, Rise Against's "Make It Stop (September's Children)" has become one of my favorite songs. When I first watched the video, I literally sobbed for a good 15 minutes afterward. I find the song very inspiring. (Incidentally, if you haven't heard the song or seen the video, the link is here). It's been a year since the September that prompted this song. I reflect upon their deaths and find it very hard to grapple with the pain and suffering that not only those individuals dealt with, but that their friends and family are still dealing with today. It's hard to imagine, and yet, it's still very fresh in my mind.

I personally struggled for a long time with some serious self-hatred. While my inner battles were largely separate from my sexuality, I can't say that there wasn't an underlying factor in my struggles. Thankfully, by the time that this song/video were released, I was in a much better place emotionally. But the song reminded me so much of the pain that I felt every day. It's still a raw subject for me.

What I get most from this song and my experiences is that we should always be extended a hand/ear/shoulder to someone, regardless of what you may or may not know about their circumstance. I know for me, it really took other people coming to me in order for me to truly see my self-worth. I found comfort in that. I think that just being available to people probably saves more lives than you know. I've learned some lessons in patience and empathy, and I think that has made me a better citizen of the world. If we all work towards thinking about others more and ourselves less, I think we could really make a difference in the world.

So please extend a kind message or warm smile to someone; often it is these simple acts of kindness that influence people more than anything else.

As always, if you or someone you know is struggling and need someone to talk to, please use either/both of the following resources:

National Suicide Prevention Website
NSP Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Specifically for the LGBT Community:
The Trevor Project Website
1-866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386)

No comments:

Post a Comment